Monday, June 9, 2014

Visa issues and other formalities

One of the unfortunate side effects to spending a year abroad are the administrative steps that need to be carried out before arriving. My visa plans are even more complicated due to some serious time constraints caused by my trips to Berlin and more urgently, to Israel.

In order to get a student visa for spending a year in Paris, the application process consists of two steps: first, you need to apply through the Campus France website; then, you have to go in person to the local consulate in order to get the physical visa. That doesn't seem too difficult, until you realize that each one has subparts (as in any good French system). So, let me detail that:

1) Campus France application

a) First, you need to open an account with your passport information. In my case, this was a bit complicated since my passport number was already on file. Though they had cancelled my old account (as I had successfully gotten the visa), I had to contact them and wait for a response before proceeding. That whole process took a week or so, because the French aren't particularly fast in that respect.

b) Filling out the application involves uploading proof of one's degrees, acceptance to a French institution, etc. You need to write about your intentions, your French level, and your prior stays in France. Then you need to submit it all. That part took about a day or two, since I had to unearth diplomas and upload pictures.

c) Then, you need to mail them things. A lot of things. Even things that aren't specified on their PowerPoint list of instructions. First off, since they seem to be in the dark ages, you need to send them a paper copy of everything—of their own forms, of the $100 money order that they also request (money order? really??). I thought I had finished, but I hadn't sent the copy of their own form (aka, what I filled out in part b), so I had to do that today, and pay an additional $20 to get it overnighted. The total now, in that case, is about $135 that I've spent just on the visa. But don't worry, I'll be spending much more.

d) Now I wait for them to review my application, verify that everything is there, and then send me an email (via their own system, which I continually need to check) saying that it is okay. Then, once they've done that, I need to print out the application, the proof of payment, the confirmation email, and any other pertinent documents and bring them all to the embassy in person.

2) Visa Appointment

a) First, you need to schedule one in anticipation of your application being approved. I've scheduled mine for Monday the 23rd, in the morning, the day after I return from Israel. I'll stay in the city the night before and then print out all the documents I need there. Not only do you need documents, but you need copies of them as well. They have a huge list, which is what I will be putting together tomorrow, while juggling packing and buying a few last-second things for Israel.

b) The in-person meeting, where you give them your documents and they take your passport. That is the day I get back from Israel. You also need to give them another $60 or so.

c) Then, I apparently have to go back to the Consulate or send someone in my stead. And then, finally, I will have the visa.

All of this, by the way, doesn't include the various papers I've been mailing to the ENS today, which includes more postage money and other charges. For instance, I need a professional translation of my birth certificate ($55), several passport photos ($12), and more. So, my total costs so far are: $262. But don't worry, that won't be it. I'm sure...

No comments:

Post a Comment